Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 4: A Double-Edged Sword

Since I've been a member of Ravelry for a little over a year, I've seen it really grow and make a lot of my knitting dreams come true. Just now I was reading their "This Week on Ravelry - Issue 68" which is basically an online knitting magazine, and some thoughts started forming in my mind.

When I decided to give up the knitting for Lent, I didn't want to outlaw myself from Ravelry, plus I didn't see the point. I figured, if I'm giving up the actual knitting, what's the harm in reading about knitting? Well, there's a lot of harm. Obviously, when looking at other people's knitting, it makes me want to knit. I'm thinking that I'm not truly giving up the knitting, if I'm still spending time on the computer looking at all-things-knitting.

So here's a radical decision: starting Monday, I'm not going to look at Ravelry or knitting blogs for the remainder of Lent - gasp! I know this is a good decision because the thought of it makes me want to to cry - that's a good sacrifice ; ) Also it's just not feeling hard enough to only give up the needles. It's like all the online accoutrement is allowing me to give up the actual act, but all I'm really doing is living vicariously through other knitters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers