After days of waffling back and forth between laminate that looks like granite and granite tiles for our new countertops, I think we've reached a decision, or at least a step in the right direction. We had originally disregarded the option of stock laminate that we would cut ourselves because one of our countertops is nine inches longer than the longest stock laminate pieces. We briefly discussed that we could use it, we would just have a seam which at the time, I didn't think I could live with. After some reconsideration, I've decided we should reexamine this option because it's a fraction of the cost of custom-cut laminate. And Clint could do this himself and we could start right away. We're both tired of the reno being halfway done with no end in sight.
So I was trucking along on my Tuck vest now that I have the pattern and I had a good amount knitted when I realized ... it's too big. I brought it to lunch to show Stacy over the weekend and she held it up to me; I know that I want it big, but I don't want it this big. I was knitting on a larger needle trying to match the gauge of the vest they have out on sample at Gauge, but I don't think I can make it happen. I think I'll just stick to the pattern the way it's written. I'll have to rip it all out and start over : ( For that reason, I haven't touched the project since Saturday. I know I'll pick it up and start over, but it takes some willpower.
In the meantime, I've been working on my Herbivore shawl. I know I'm gong to love it when it's done, but it's taking some time. I love the shape; it allows for a longer thinner shawl as opposed to a triangular shape, the typical shawl I make. This will be my 7th shawl out of 10 for the year. I don't want to jump the gun, but I'm already starting to think about when I'm done with 10 and what I'll do. Will I keep going? Or take a break from shawls? I don't want to jinx myself though, so I should stop.
Things have been pretty busy around here with remodeling the kitchen.
Our original plan was to remove the soffits to allow for a real overhaul and open up the already tiny space, but that idea was quickly shelved when we realized we would "have to" have the ceilings checked for asbestos. We have the lovely popcorn ceilings and the ones that were installed pre-1978 (which is a loose number) potentially have asbestos in them. Our house was built in 1979 and I didn't want to taken any chances. The more I read about getting the tests done and the money involved, the more we decided we could live with the soffits.
So we started to make a plan and a budget, but then we got ahead of ourselves and went to Ikea and bought our cabinets last Thursday. Since they were so heavy, we had them delivered and they arrived the next day. I don't know what was wrong with Clint and I, but we somehow neglected to think about the fact that Ikea products come in pieces. As they unloaded our flat boxes of cabinet materials, the realization set in: we would have to assemble these cabinets before Clint could even install them! I know - we're stupid.
Things went pretty smoothly for a couple of days. We got all the upper cabinets installed, but then paused on the lowers until we got out countertop situation situated. We had imagined that we would install laminate than looks like granite because of the cost. Well, this is where spending some time on a budget before we got started would have been useful. We went to three stores to price the cost of laminate countertops. Just for the countertops and delivery, it would cost about $700! That doesn't even include removal and disposal of our old countertops, or installation of the new one, or sink connects and disconnects! So we don't think we're going to buy laminate.
We priced some granite tiles today with the prospect of laying them as the countertop. It would be about $400, with Clint doing all labor himself. I just wish we had planned out a full budget ahead of time so I could have started adjusting to the prices awhile ago.
So long time, no see...yadda, yadda, yadda...I'm starting a new project!!!
After breakfast today, I convinced Stacy to go to the yarn store with me. I wasn't really planning on buying anything (really!) and neither was she, but then we saw this sample vest and all bets were off. She tried it on, I tried it on, we fell in love with it! I thought it would be fun if we did a summer knit along together and I could reignite Stacy's passion for knitting. So we ordered the pattern and yarn and I was lucky enough that my yarn was in stock, and I was able to take mine home today! The pattern will take a little while, so the acquisition is bittersweet, but at least I can start swatching and get ready! Yea - project!