Friday, May 8, 2020

There's No Time Like a Pandemic to Resuscitate Your Old Blog

It's been almost ten years since I updated this blog! And the old saying rings true: The more things change, the more they stay the same. My last updates in 2011 were about meal-planning and knitting. I jumped back in to this blog to write about knitting; we'll see if I write about meal-planning too ; )

I'm feeling new energy for knitting right now. No doubt because of the current Stay-At-Home orders. Looking at my Ravelry projects page, however, is filled with old feelings.

 

That Summer Top. Yes, it now says 100% finished because as of Wednesday, it is, but a few days ago it was sitting there at 90% finished for years. There was no way I was going to frog a project that closed to completion, so I picked it up this week. I was shocked to see just how close I was to finishing it! I could have continued with the eyelet pattern, but why bother: just end it! I knit garter for 10 or so rows and bound off. Finally! I let it soak in the sink for a few hours and then hung it to dry. Because the top was started in 2011, I made a size large. Now that I'm 40 pounds lighter, it's slightly big. I can get away with wearing it with a tank top underneath, but it's probably best suited for a swimsuit coverup.



Souvenir is also finished. I'm not going to block it, but I may add some tassels since the whole reason I chose the pattern (Color Block Bias Blanket) was for those lovely tassels. 



The Hexipuff Quilt is nearing completion. Half of the puffs have been connected to one another.

 

And it occurs to me that I have many other projects that I have finished but never photographed or logged on Ravelry. I'm tempted to make a spreadsheet to tackle this, but I think ultimately it would keep me from actually "catching up", so instead, I think I will tackle one item day. That could mean working on a ufo or photographing a finished piece.

My overall goal is to be a zero-stash knitter. I don't want to own any unused yarn, and I want to finish each project before I start another. I think Part A is attainable; I'm more dubious about Part B.

Now what to do about this?


I purchased this yarn on our family trip to San Francisco in 2018. I intended to make a giant Clapotis (hence the large amount of yarn), but the lady at the yarn shop convinced me to make a Terraform because it also had the dropped stitches. I have no desire to continue knitting anymore of this project, especially because I now know how terrible dropping these stitches will be (subject for another entry). My quandry: Do I bind off and block this and call it finished? It's plenty big enough for a shawl. OR do I frog it (gasp) and consolidate the yarn and make something large? I've been perusing several different sweater, poncho, and swoncho patterns, but they all call for more yarn than I have. So this will have to sit a bit longer. I just realized this project doesn't even have a name! 

Okay, I think I may make a spreadsheet...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers